Bedbug Heat Treatments for Hotels in Vancouver
Why They Are the Bedbug Control Technique of Choice
Bedbugs are often thought of as a household pest, one that makes life miserable for people who just want to rest and relax in their own home. But bedbug infestations don’t usually originate from residential properties. It’s very common for the pests to hitchhike on a person’s belongings from somewhere else, especially a hotel.
In larger cities and towns that see greater numbers of tourists, like Vancouver, Whistler, and other areas of BC, bedbugs are a particularly serious issue. Hotels in these kinds of areas are at much higher risk of playing host to bedbugs at some point, making effective bedbug treatments one of their top priorities.
What Does A Bedbug Heat Treatment Involve?
Bedbugs became a significant problem in the last decade or so since the strong pesticides used to treat them previously were determined to be too high risk to use anymore and as traveling became more common for more people. It’s uncommon for bedbugs to spread diseases, but their bites can be itchy and painful. Their presence drastically decreases guest satisfaction and can severely damage your business’s reputation if they’re mentioned in online reviews.
Preventive inspections and treatments are the best way to avoid the problem altogether at your hotel, but if it’s too late for that you do have options. Bedbugs are tough and adaptive. Traditional pesticide treatments still work in some cases, but they have drawbacks and fail at a higher rate than at any time in the past. One of the reasons bedbugs have made such a resurgence is because many have adapted and are immune to pesticide treatments.
A better alternative, and one that is preferable for the hotels in Vancouver, BC, is a heat treatment. Heat treatments are a newer technology that hotels have found extremely useful for eliminating these common pests. The basic process of a heat treatment is as follows:
- Objects made of vinyl (and other materials that can melt at medium high temperatures), pets, plants, and medications are removed.
- Industrial heaters and fans are turned on and evenly distribute heat to all parts of the room.
- Once the temperature is set at 48 degrees Celsius, that heat is maintained in all areas and surfaces for at least 3-4 hours.
- After those hours, the heat is turned off and the room is returned to a comfortable temperature.
- Dead bugs are vacuumed up and any signs of them are removed.
Adult bedbugs usually die within 20 minutes and eggs within 90 minutes at 48 degrees Celsius. With a heat treatment, the entire environment becomes inhospitable to bedbugs for hours, killing them all no matter where they’re hiding.
Why Heat Treatments and Not Traditional Treatments?
Three characteristics of heat treatments make them ideal for hotels. Heat treatments are:
- Quick – The treatment process typically takes nine hours at most to complete, from 8 AM to 5 PM. This is very brief compared to other treatment methods that can take multiple days.
- Eco-Friendly – No pesticides or other chemicals are used, so there’s no residue left behind.
- Safe – Electronics, chairs, and most other hotel furnishings can stay in the room during the treatment process and be treated themselves without any risk of damage.
They’re also effective. Because bedbugs may be immune to some pesticides, hotels sometimes have to wait to rent a room to first see if they are all eliminated. With heat treatments, there is no additional risk, and the room can be rented right away.
There’s no other bedbug treatment that can treat all areas of a room as quickly, efficiently, and effectively as heat treatment can. And there’s no other pest control company in the Vancouver, CA area that can treat your hotel’s bedbug problems as discreetly and successfully as Local Pest.
Local Pest Is the Best Choice To Remove Hotel Bedbugs
We have years of experience and industry knowledge in treating some of the most difficult-to-remove pests around, including bedbugs. We are able to adapt and provide the best service for your specific case so that your bedbugs are gone as soon as possible.
If you want us to provide preventive treatment or if you’ve already found bedbugs in your hotel, contact us as soon as possible by calling us today. We want to help your hotel today and the sooner we can begin treatment, the easier and quicker the process will be.